Sunday, January 23, 2011

Eleanor Roosevelt 1935 Thank You Letter for a Quilt


Eleanor Roosevelt
Circa 1950
Author's Collection


Thought you all might like to see my latest vintage quilt ephemera find - it is a thank you note signed by Eleanor Roosevelt and written on official White House Stationary, dated February 9, 1935 while FDR was president.


It's a thank you note to a Mrs. Jules Joseph Fischer, Mrs. McGrath, and "the rest of the ladies" for a quilt they made and sent to her.
February 9, 1935
Author's Collection


Transcription:


"THE WHITE HOUSE

WASHINGTON

February 9, 1935

My dear Mrs. Fischer:

I was very much delighted to receive from Mrs. McGrath the quilt which you and all the other women so generously made for me. It is very lovely, and I greatly appreciate the work and thought which you have all put into it.

With many thanks and all good wishes, I am

Very sincerely yours, Eleanor Roosevelt"


Now if a person could only find the quilt this note was intended for.... it's not at the FDR Presidential Library and Museum - already checked.


The most helpful lead is the envelope that came with this letter, it was addressed to Mrs. Jules Joseph Fischer, who lived in Mountain View, California in 1935. I have Ancestry.com and I am running down leads that way, but if anyone recognizes Mrs. Fischer as one of their ancestors, please contact me at quiltingbee73@yahoo.com.


This just goes to show those of us who love quilt paper items there is still neat antique and vintage quilt ephemera out there waiting to find their way to us.

1 comment:

  1. There is a quilt at the American Museum in Britain (Bath, UK) given to Mrs Roosevelt which was later used on her grandsons bed while the First Grandchildren lived at the White House. I'm sorry that I can't remember any details about who made the quilt (if that was noted) but it is an incredible piece of work.

    I don't know for sure if this is the one you are looking for but the museum might be able to give you more details.

    ReplyDelete